Saturday, April 26, 2008

Growing Up Girl in Santa Fe


I can't begin to describe my trip to Santa Fe, NM. I think if you wake up every morning to this view then you can't help but feel amazing. I definitely feel overwhelmed by all the hospitality,knowledge, and love for the written word.

PEN New Mexico invited me out to be the keynote speaker of a two day program that was inspired by the Growing Up Girl anthology! I am blown away by the idea that an entire weekend was organized to discuss and explore what it means to grow up girl and how that concept needs to appear in more young adult books.

The Friday night discussion was lively and robust. I hadn't done a reading on the book in quite a while and I was surprised how passionate I still felt about the material. There was a lot of discussion about tangible ways that we can empower and protect girls until they get to their full selves. I was really moved by the concern and energy around the topic.



The panel discussion on Saturday was equally as fulfilling. I had the opportunity to meet some really amazing young women. Tasha and Santana are two of those girls. Both are writers and are powerful forces to be reckoned with. Nobody is going to silence these young women. How wonderful it is to know you deserve to speak your truth without permission or hesitation. I am hoping to work with them on a wonderful project that hopefully will come to light in 2010.

A special thank you to Cinny Green who spearheaded this event and made me feel super welcomed. Barbara and Bill thank you for your hospitality. I really appreciate you sharing your home and view with me. I hope Judy Blume likes the book.

Next stop: NYC

Michelle
www.girlchildpress.com

No comments: